E-ISSN 2587-0610

Quick Search




Comparison of adrenal vein control methods in laparoscopic adrenalectomy [Laparosc Endosc Surg Sci ]
Laparosc Endosc Surg Sci . 2017; 24(1): 1-4 | DOI: 10.14744/less.2017.10820

Comparison of adrenal vein control methods in laparoscopic adrenalectomy

Murat Arslan1, Altuğ Tuncel2, Tansu Değirmenci3, Zafer Kozacıoğlu3, Ersin Köseoğlu2, Yılmaz Aslan2, Cenk Gürbüz4, Ali Atan2
1Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Izmir University, Izmir, Turkey
2Department of Urology, Ankara Numune Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
3Department of Urology, Bozyaka Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
4Department of Urology, Goztepe Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey

INTRODUCTION: The aim of the present study was to compare different methods of adrenal vein control in patients undergoing laparoscopic adrenalectomy.
METHODS: Total of 87 patients who underwent laparoscopic adrenalectomy (transperitoneal, n=61; retroperitoneal, n=26) due to adrenal mass were included in this study. Mean age was 50.9 years. In 57 patients (65.5%), adrenal vein was controlled using Hem-o-lok (Teleflex, Inc., Wayne, PA, USA) ligation clip, and in remainder (n=30; 34.5%), adrenal vein was controlled using LigaSure (Medtronic, Inc., Minneapolis, MN, USA) vessel sealing system (Group 2).
RESULTS: Mean age of the patients in Group 1 and Group 2 was 52.7±4.5 years and 54.4±4.0 years, respectively (p=0.264). Mean diameter of lesion was 42.7±2.2 mm (range: 21-87 mm) and 37.5±3.6 mm (range: 15-72 mm) in Group 1 and 2, respectively (p<0.001). Mean operating time was 97.5±5.8 minutes (range: 60-126 minutes) and 90.2±4.6 minutes (range: 50-150 minutes) in Group 1 and 2, respectively (p=0.001). Mean estimated blood loss was 100 mL (range: 20-350 mL) and 5 mL (range: 0-10 mL) in Group 1 and 2, respectively (p<0.001). Mean length of postoperative hospitalization was 4.9±4.2 days (range: 1-13 days) and 2.9±1.8 days (range: 1-9 days) in Group 1 and 2, respectively (p=0.029). Intraoperative complication occurred in 3 patients (5.2%) (adrenal vein avulsion) and 1 patient (3.3%) (spleen laceration) in Group 1 and 2, respectively.
DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSION: LigaSure vessel sealing system had lower complication rate compared with Hem-o-lok ligation clip during laparoscopic adrenalectomy.

Keywords: Adrenal, hemostasis, instrumentation, laparoscopy.

Murat Arslan, Altuğ Tuncel, Tansu Değirmenci, Zafer Kozacıoğlu, Ersin Köseoğlu, Yılmaz Aslan, Cenk Gürbüz, Ali Atan. Comparison of adrenal vein control methods in laparoscopic adrenalectomy. Laparosc Endosc Surg Sci . 2017; 24(1): 1-4

Corresponding Author: Altuğ Tuncel, Türkiye
LookUs & Online Makale